There are many options and fantastic options open to buyers of second homes and vacation rental homes - one popular choice is to buy in a Resort, but is it a good idea?
Ultimately the answer to that will be determined by many factors and the goals and preferences of the buyer, so working with a realtor experienced in selling in this sector is central to making a good decision.
For those that chose to buy outside of resorts, they often cite peace and quiet and lower HOA fees as the determining factors - certainly this is true, and especially among the 'snowbird' community who visit for 3 or 4 months each winter, they feel that being in a non-resort community, often with a mix or residential owners and short term homes allows for them to get to know their neighbors and feel more at home.
Some of the resorts truly offer an amazing array of amenities, including pretty much whole water parks in some of the newest ones!), concierge services and even rides to the parks - its a true 'I'm on vacation' experience! These amenities in turn translate into popularity for the resort meaning higher returns for owners.
The main benefits to a resort community would include
* Security guard gated entry and on site security. Appeals immensely to both owners and their guests.
* More amenities - resort pools, clubhouse, tennis courts, movie theater, lazy river, tiki bars, on site food are all common features
* Higher occupancy levels due to the amenities.
* Better nightly rates leading to a higher ROI for investors and more security for buyers with mortgages to cover.
* Resort HOA's often include all exterior maintenance and irrigation as well as cable TV service, internet and phone, and homes all look uniform. This keeps residual prices buoyant.
Appeals more to: Families, those looking for lots of activities and convenience, close to parks, investors wanting a higher return.
Reasons Resorts to not appeal to buyers would include:
* Can be noisy and very busy especially in peak seasons, even 'rowdy' when large groups come in.
* Tends to appeal less to snowbirds, more to families who can be harder on the homes (think wear and tear)
* Higher HOA fees and sometimes an annual CDD payment make running costs higher.
* Stricter HOA rules may feel restrictive to some and communities can be very 'cookie cutter'
* The home doesn't feel like a 'home' with transient neighbors there is no sense of community.
Appeals more to: Couples, snowbirds, those wanting a quiet respite from the parks, those more interested in having a second 'home' and being part of the community, those not renting out the home, or those needing to just cover expenses.
Exit Realty Champions is set in the heart of vacation home communities with several great resort and non-resort options on our doorstep. For more information click here or email email@example.com
Author:Caroline Mitchell Phone: 407-808-7635 Dated: June 9th 2017 Views: 68 About Caroline: Originally hailing from Birmingham in the UK, Caroline moved to the West Palm Beach area of South Fl...
View our latest blog posts in your RSS reader. Click here to access.
Born in Plymouth, England in 1978, Anthony moved to Florida in 2004. Growing up as the son of a builder, Anthony lived and breathed real estate. To further his interest and to become more involved in Real Estate Anthony gained his Real Estate Sales License, deciding to make the change from 4 years as a high school mathematics teacher.
From a young age Anthony has had a desire to help people and is now helping people make the most important decision they are likely to ever make. Being a 'non-native' of Florida Anthony has experienced first hand the processes and intricacies of buying Real Estate in a foreign country and this experience has assisted him when working with clients from various countries. Anthony has clients in the UK, Dubai, Australia and Canada. Having clients from different cultures and various time zones has not been a problem for Anthony, who is very adept with new technology and communication methods. His primary strength is building relationships with clients - a skill Anthony says he developed through his time as a Teacher, working with various students and establishing effective communication with their parents.
Anthony's other interests include Motorsport, Golf and Travelling. Anthony lives in Davenport, Florida with his wife and four children.